These things happened, in this order, within the past few days.
1. The Soggy Librarian said that she often gets the song “Always” by Atlantic Starr stuck in her head. As you do.
2. I responded by telling her that I once sang, with a boy named Brian, a duet version of that very song in 10th grade choir. I know, I just get cooler and cooler the more you get to know me, right?
3. I began to think about the fact that a boy had chosen (because we chose this song ourselves and auditioned that shit. We were not assigned to sing it) to sing the words “come with me, my sweet, let’s go make a family,” in front of everyone we knew when we were 15. Because that’s not weird.
4. I received an email today from THAT SAME BRIAN KID. Who is not a kid anymore, obvs. He just said something totally nice like “hey, you popped into my head this week. How are you?, etc.” And also “I think I remember that we sang a duet in school but can’t recall the year or the song. Maybe you can enlighten me or set me straight.”
5. I began to believe that uttering the words “Atlantic Starr” brings back people from your past. Sort of like a light R&B Beetlejuice.
Say Atlantic Starr and see who pops back into your life. It’s SCIENCE, you guys.